Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bien venire, my name is Brandon and I am from the Yuba-Sutter region of California. I'm a student at Humboldt State University where I major in film with a minor in art. The fact that I wish to become a screenwriter goes in hand with the topic/prompt of this letter. My weakness as a student is that I get bored easily and drift off into my fantasy land where I formulate various scenarios in which to write about in the future, that, or exotic foods. My strengths as a student, however, are...I have none. I guess I have quite the inferiority complex, don't I? I have a vast writing history as well as a tendency to reject formal writing standards. I'm incapable of forming a legitimate argument and am therefore unable to write argumentitive essays. In my high school English classes I was docked points for using colloquialisms in expository essays.
I am not fluent in any other languges, but I know some Spanish from high school and I know many different words and phrases in French, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Latin, and Welsh. I would, however, like to be able to speak these languages more. I often read for fun, though mostly comic books. Books I read that aren't comics are usually Agatha Christie novels or "Tortilla Flat:, though aside from that book in paticular I really don't care for John Steinbeck. As far as reading for research, I did once read a bunch of books on gourmet pastries for a screenplay I was devising about an eight year old confections prodigy and the dirty old man who steals his treats.
I came to Humboldt because what I used to want to do for a career required a Bachelors Degree in Science. I came to Humboldt in paticular because it was the only CSU that didn't have desert dry air and prominent over crowding. I decided to change my major after seeing the film Stranger than Fiction, possibly the best yet most underrated Will Ferrell movie of all time, and also after realizing that a Bachelors Degree in any Science would require me to take over eight of my least favoite subject courses. Initially, however, that film made me want to be a writer, but because of my disregard for English writing formats and the fact that any narrative I produced sounded like a script I decided to do screenwriting instead.
I guess I have disclosed as much on-topic information as I can, but why go through the hassle of constructing a closing statement when I can just stop...

No comments:

Post a Comment