Sunday, October 25, 2009

Researching the Web Wisely

This chapter doesn't have much information that most people don't already know. "Judging the reliability of a Web site" is one of the pieces of this chapter with some information that I already don't aready know. Identifying reliable sites through the address is a no brainer. Whether or not there are sited sources is basic sense. The part about knowing reliable authors is new to me, I've never really investigated an author though I have never used an anonymous source. Even I think that is suspicious. When it comes to some topics I beleive it is almost impossible to find an unbiased source on the web. So many crackpots are spoutiong nonsense nowadays, really irritating.

1 comment:

  1. I agree; the internet is a free-for-all, but since it seems to be where everyone goes for information and news, critical thinking is all the more important.

    Checking the background of an author can tell you what credentials the author holds, what publications he or she usually writes for, and about what topics he or she usually writes.

    I think it's especially helpful to discover how the author is being compensated for the writing and by whom.

    ReplyDelete